LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 mattm
|
Hello,

I am considering a joint degree program as well as applying solely to law school ( I'm applying in Fall 2016 for sure to law school but may do a joint degree program)

How does the GRE score submissions and score selection work?

can you only send in the scores that you want seen? for example if I took it twice and got a 155V and 150Q the first time but then the second time got a 160V and a 157Q ..could I only submit the higher score?, from What I have read you can do this , unlike the LSAT in which all scores are reported.

If this is the case then the only real downside of taking it while nit being at my 100% potential is wasting a try ( I'm more serious about law school, but plan on a GRE take at some point to keep doors open in the future as the scores are valid for 5 years and I have a strong diagnostic in the verbal portion).....I see a lot less risks involved as to when I choose to take the GRE as there are more chances to take it, and I have the ability which scores to submit)

I just wanted clarification on the GRE score submission/ selection

Thanks!
 Jon Denning
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey matt,

Thanks for the question! We don't get a lot of GRE inquiries on the forum, so I got a little excited when I saw this :-D

GRE score reporting uses something called ScoreSelect, where you have a few different options of what you submit (partially determined by when you make your choice).

If you're debating sending scores on test day at the test center, you can choose to not send anything at that time, send only the scores for that test, or send all scores from the past five years.

If you wait until you've left the center to send scores, you pay a small fee but have the options to send most recent, send all, or (and this is the real bonus) send any: you can pick any/all scores from the last five years you wish to send, whether one test or multiple.

Sadly you can only send a single day's score--you can't pick best quant and best verbal from different tests--but schools will only see scores you choose to send, and won't know how many times you've actually taken the test. So no retake penalties except time and money, really.

So yes, very different than the way the LSAT is submitted! You can read a bit more about the process at https://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general ... coreselect.

I hope that helps!

Jon

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.