LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to law school or law school admissions.
 mattm
|
Since most schools consider only the highest score even though they can see all is an LSAT addendum needed if there is a large discrepancy in scores?

I started prepping for the Test in February and took it too early in June 2014....I didn't think the usual test day decline from PT scores to actual exam scores would happen to me but it did....I got a disappointing 154 which was a bit unrepresentative as I had a 154 on PT in March and studied hard for the exam.

I'm now looking into 166+-170 range or so since I have much improved on PT's ......I have had a couple great LR's in which I have missed 3 combined, 2-4 on LG with a couple minus 1 and need to work on RC but confident it can come up.

If I scored a 165 or above on actual exam day would I need an addendum to explain an 11 point or more difference or would you apply without the addendum?

And as a side question if i'm looking at a school whose median LSAT is a 170 would it look worse if I had a 154, 165, and a 170 compared to if i got a 154 and a 170?.......If having two lower scores wouldn't hurt me, I may take advantage of my two remaining LSAT takes to get that 170 instead of having everything ride on one test day
 Nikki Siclunov
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey matt,

The general rule of thumb is: yes, only the highest score counts. That said, schools will see every LSAT score you have, so the fewer numbers there are to distract them from your awesome score, the better. It's basic human psychology. I wouldn't take the test 3 times just because I can; ideally, I'd only take it once, when I feel 100% ready to do so. I'd re-take only if I feel that I didn't do as well as I had hoped, not because I believe I can do better (but never have).

Re: whether to include an addendum... it depends. Generally speaking, if you only have two test scores, an explanation isn't necessary; however, for some schools - especially those likely to average your scores - you should include an addendum. This is particularly important if you need to explain a large disparity between your scores (i.e. 8+ points). When in doubt, call up the admissions office and ask if they would average your scores. If they do, an addendum is your best chance of making them focus on the higher score.

Hope this helps a bit!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.