LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Sdaoud17
|
Just to confirm A is correct because only A had some kinda of Positive about Paragraph 3,where the others had the opposite affect of whats going on in paragraph 3.

Thank you
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Basically...the author introduces the viewpoint of "many anthropologists" and basically takes the ball and runs with it. This is implicit acceptance, not hesitant agreement.

I hope that's helpful! Let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 voodoochild
|
Experts,
Why is A correct? The Powerscore bible says that because the author doesn't disprove "many anthro's hypothesis," he implicitly assumes it. I am not sure about this sentence.

For instance, if I don't comment on Iran's nuclear program, does it mean that I implicitly approve it? haha. That's absurd.

Please help.

Thanks
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Voodoochild,

Take another look at that paragraph. The author starts with the presentation of the anthropoligsts' perspective, and continues on his own:

...many anthropologists hypothesize that the painters were...intended to provide food...these anthropologists maintain that the Aurignacian paintings were meant to grant magical power...These images were probably intended to make these animals vulnerable...

The third bold portion is the author, who is no longer simply ascribing this hypothesis to anthropologists, but now appears to be completely on board.

I hope that's helpful! Please let me know whether that clears this one up--thanks!

~Steve
 voodoochild
|
Steve,
Thanks for your reply. I thought that line # 44 .. were premise supporting "many anthropologists"' claim. Can you please clarify this? Also, if we continue to read this paragraph, the author uses terms "there is evidence (line 52)," "clearly show (line 49)... Also the lines 42...onwards just expand on what's written above that. How do I know that line 42 onwards is "author's voice" and not premise written by the author to support "many anthropologists" point?

For instance, let's consider this hypothetical passage:
"Many economists believe that Greece's economy will be in trouble. This is because XYZ."
(the author could go on to describe economists' evidences because the author could have "read" the hypothesis or economists' belief. Just because a description is provided, it doesn't mean that the author believes in it).

Another example - "Ahmedinijad has proposed to expand its nuclear program because it will enable Iran to do XYZ. His public statement is probably intended to inculcate a feeling of national pride among Iranians, Y and Z."

Does it mean that I support Iran's warfare program? Not at all. Please help. I am really confused.
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Voodoochild,

The lines you refer to do reflect the author's perspective, in support of the anthropologists' hypothesis. Again, when the author says that the images were probably intended to do something, that view is no longer just being attributed to the anthropologists. The author is saying that, in the author's mind, that was probably the intention. Further support is then provided.

Similarly, consider this hypothetical question to follow your hypothetical passage:

With which one of the following statements would voodoochild most likely agree?

A) The referenced public statement was probably intended to inculcate a feeling of national pride.

A would be a correct answer choice. Please let me know whether this is clear--thanks!

~Steve
 voodoochild
|
Steve Stein wrote:Voodoochild,

The lines you refer to do reflect the author's perspective, in support of the anthropologists' hypothesis. Again, when the author says that the images were probably intended to do something, that view is no longer just being attributed to the anthropologists.
Steve,
Thanks for responding to my query. Now, when I revisited your reply, it does make sense. When an author says "probably intended" to XYZ, it does reflect his/her views (I was able to related this from my passage). {I am good with this part.}

However, in lines 40-41, author says that "many anthro." maintain that "these paintings were meant to grant magical powers over the prey." This isn't told by the author. Why would then E) be the correct answer for Q3? (I feel that Q1 and Q3 are related, and for sake of anyone reading this explanation, it would help to relate both the questions. I have posted a separate thread for Q3. Please let me know if you want me to post this question to that thread.

Thanks
 Steve Stein
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Again, by the fourth or fifth line of that paragraph, it is well established that the author is on board with these ideas. By the end of that paragraph it seems that the author is speaking for both himself/herself and for the aforementioned anthropologists--this is what we have discussed in previous threads; is there another answer choice that you found appealing?

Let me know--thanks!

~Steve
 voodoochild
|
Steve Stein wrote:Again, by the fourth or fifth line of that paragraph, it is well established that the author is on board with these ideas. By the end of that paragraph it seems that the author is speaking for both himself/herself and for the aforementioned anthropologists--this is what we have discussed in previous threads;
~Steve
Steve,
Thanks for your reply. It makes sense now. If the author supports "many authoritarian's" views, then it is likely that the author would support their views. There should be no harm in believing that the author would support their views. I agree now. thanks for your help.
 avengingangel
|
Hello! I chose B because in the third paragraph the author uses "These images were probably intended..." and "perhaps in an effort to..." indicating the author doesn't wholeheartedly believe in/is just entertaining what these many anthropologists are hypothesizing, but he/she is still going along with it, or leaning towards it, anyway. I looked to the passage to prove my answer choice, as one does. I didn't like A because implicit acceptance describes that someone doesn't even need to be consciously convinced of something... like if the author was already thinking what the many anthro's were thinking before their ideas were presented to him/her. There's nothing in the passage that points to that or let's you know that's the case. Do you have further explanation of why B would be wrong and A is correct ?? Thanks!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.