LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Administrator
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Complete Question Explanation

Method of Reasoning—CE. The correct answer choice is (B)

Dr. Nash makes his/her argument by saying that the reason that students seek work is because of their low grades. This is a direct contradiction of the relationship presented by Godfrey: students get low grades because they work.

Answer choice (A): Nash does not dismiss the seriousness of the problems, but rather reverses the relationship presented by Godfrey.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. Nash does not dispute the evidence given (more work; lower grades), but merely suggests an alternative/opposite explanation for it.

Answer choice (C): Again, Nash does not dispute the evidence, only the interpretation of it.

Answer choice (D): Nash never discusses the role that schools play in the situation.

Answer choice (E): Nash states that there is a relationship: low grades cause students to seek work.
 lsattesttaker93
|
I am a little bit weirded out with this question and why AC A is not correct.

Isn't Dr. Nash discounting the fact that even though the kids who are working part-time jobs are faring poorly in school, this can be compensated with them earning more money?

Isn't this "downplaying the seriousness of the problems facing academically troubled high school students"? (i.e. "it's fine that their grades suck, they're making money to compensate for how poorly they're doing in school").

I feel like I am completely missing something since this seems to be an "easy" question.
 Rachael Wilkenfeld
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi lsattesttaker93,

Dr. Nash acknowledges the academic problems here. He notes that the job can compensate for their lack of academic success. He doesn't say something to indicate that there isn't a lack of academic success. He acknowledges it. He just thinks that the work can make up for it. In his view, the academic issues would be there with or without the work. The phrase "that's not so" at the beginning of Dr. Nash's response isn't there to say there aren't academic problems with theses students. It's to say that Dr. Godfrey's conclusion based on those problems is incorrect.

Both parties here agree on the situation. There are poorly performing students in school who work outside of school. The difference between them is focused on which is the cause, and which is the effect.

Hope that helps!
 lsattesttaker93
|
Oh, this is super helpful! Thank you!! :)

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.