LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Grouping Game: Undefined.

This game has always been considered by students to be very challenging. The difficulty arises because the store carries ten CDs, but the number of CDs for sale is Undefined. As discussed in Lesson Six, Undefined Grouping games can at times present a severe challenge. Increasing the complexity of the game, four of the rules involve a double conditional. The variables can be listed as follows:
Jun 00__M12_game#2_L11_explanations_game#4_setup_diagram_1.png
One critical inference involves identifying UO as a random. Because NO is not on sale, and none of the rules involve UO, questions about the CDs that must or cannot be on sale are not likely to involve O. For example, #8 (C), #10 (A), (B), and (C), and #12 (B) each focus on O in a Must be True or Cannot be True question. Because we know nothing about the actions of UO, these answers are likely to be incorrect. A similar line of reasoning can be used to attack question #11. Question #11 asks for what Must be True EXCEPT. Thus, each incorrect answer Must be True, and the correct answer is Not Necessarily True. At first glance, answer choice (A), which addresses UO, is very likely to be correct because we know nothing about the actions of UO and thus almost anything is possible, the opposite of Must be True. Note that, in question #13, the restrictions in the question stem are so severe as to ultimately affect UO.

The diagramming of the rules presents some choices. The second, third, fourth, and fifth rules contain multiple sufficient or necessary conditions. For example, the third rule can be diagrammed as follows:
Jun 00__M12_game#2_L11_explanations_game#4_setup_diagram_2.png
Some students, however, may find this notation cumbersome. An alternate representation would be to diagram the rule as follows:
Jun 00__M12_game#2_L11_explanations_game#4_setup_diagram_3.png
While this representation is easier to digest, because the rules vary between “and” and “or” conditions, some consideration must be given to the impact of those differences. For example, the conditions involving “all,” “both,” or “neither” could appear with an NU (new and used) designator:
Jun 00__M12_game#2_L11_explanations_game#4_setup_diagram_4.png
Rules involving “either,” or contrapositives involving “or” could be diagrammed without designators, thus indicating that the presence of either the new or used type of music would enact the rule.

Ultimately, either representation presents drawbacks: showing each type of music separately is cluttered, whereas using subscripts could be confusing. On the next page we will show both types of diagrams.
Jun 00__M12_game#2_L11_explanations_game#4_setup_diagram_5.png
Please note that the second and fourth rules in the game are modified above to reflect the fact that UP must be on sale.
Jun 00__M12_game#2_L11_explanations_game#4_setup_diagram_6.png
In attacking the game, we choose to use the second set of representations, but if you feel more comfortable with the first set of representations, you can certainly use those instead.

The relationships above lead to several inferences. For example, the second and fourth rules of the game can be combined:
Jun 00__M12_game#2_L11_explanations_game#4_setup_diagram_7.png
This combination leads to the following inference
Jun 00__M12_game%232_L11_explanations_game%234_setup_diagram_8.png
This inference answers question #10, and eliminates answer choices (D) and (E) in question #11.

The last rule and the extended contrapositive of the second rule can be combined:
Jun 00__M12_game#2_L11_explanations_game#4_setup_diagram_9.png
This combination reduces to:
Jun 00__M12_game#2_L11_explanations_game#4_setup_diagram_10.png
On some of the questions, a simple application of the contrapositive can be sufficient to answer the question. For example, question #8 can be answered by applying the contrapositive of the second rule.

Largely, solving this game requires a simple application of the rules. However, because there are so many variables and the rules are complex in nature, that application takes time. In addition, the lack of definition makes the game more difficult. Students would have been best served by recognizing that this is an Undefined game with a large number of variables and then pushing this game to last on that basis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 taylor
|
This is one of the hardest games I've ever encountered. I can't seem to make the correct inferences from the conditional rules to set up the game properly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here are the rules:

CD types:
New ("N"): JOPRS
Used ("U"): JOPRS

UP
[NO]
NP + UP :arrow: NS + US
NJ + UJ :arrow: [NR] + [UR]
[NJ] + [UJ] :arrow: NP
NR or UR :arrow: [NS] + [US]
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Taylor,

Thanks for the message. You have encountered a game that isn't just difficult for you, it's difficult for everyone. It's on our list of the 10 Hardest Logic Games of All Time (http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/killer- ... -all-time/), and I mention in there that this game is often cited as the hardest game of all time. So, what makes this game so hard? Here are three big factors:

1. There are 10 variables, and the variables are somewhat confusing to keep track of because there are two variations of each of the five music types.

2. The game is Undefined. As discussed in our courses and the Logic Games Bible, Undefined Grouping games can at times present a severe challenge.

3. Four of the rules involve a double conditional relationship.

So, what you end up with is a lot of information to track, and that takes a lot of time. It often feels like you are juggling so much mentally that you can't find the right variable to answer each question. That's a considerably different situation than if you run into a game where the core idea is so tricky that you simply have a hard time understanding what the game requires you to do (or how to set it up).

As far as your rule representation, you have it right (which is another sign that the rules aren't the problem; it's combining them and tracking the info that is the problem).

While there aren't any spectacular inferences that all of a sudden make the game easier, there are a few items of note within the game:

1. One critical inference involves identifying UO as a random, and understanding the implications thereafter. Because NO is not on sale, and none of the rules involve UO, answers to questions about the CDs that must or cannot be on sale are not likely to involve O. For example, #8 (C), #10 (A), (B), and (C), and #12 (B) each focus on O in a Must Be True or Cannot Be True question. Because we know nothing about the actions of UO, these answers are likely to be incorrect.

2. Some of the rules can be linked together to provide useful inferences (linking rules should be part of your standard operating procedure, and not something I see as being unusual). For example, the second and fourth rules of the game can be combined, and lead to an inference that answers question #10, and eliminates answer choices (D) and (E) in question #11.

3. Contrapositives are always important. On some of the questions, a simple application of the contrapositive can be sufficient to answer them. For example, question #8 can be answered by applying the contrapositive of the second rule.

Largely, solving this game requires a simple application of the rules. However, because there are so many variables and the rules are complex in nature, that application process takes time. In addition, the lack of definition makes the game more difficult. Students would have been best served by recognizing that this is an Undefined game with a large number of variables and then pushing this game to last on this test on that basis.

Just fyi, part of the above post is pulled from the explanation to this game found in the PowerScore LSAT Logic Games Setups Encyclopedia, Volume 2 (http://shopping.powerscore.com/product_ ... dia_Vol._2).

Please let me know if that helps. Thanks!
 taylor
|
Hi Dave,

Your explanation is very helpful. I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll definitely go through your notes step-by-step. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person who struggled on this game. Thanks for the link to the top 10 hardest games -- I can't wait to attack these today! (Seriously, after 4 months of studying, I'm actually starting to enjoy the logic games.)

Cheers,
Taylor
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
That's great news! When you start to enjoy what you are doing, you typically perform better, so that bodes well for you.

Good luck!
 szamias
|
Where am I able to get my hands on this exam?????????????????????
 Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hey Szamias,

There are a couple of different avenues to get that game:

For immediate download here: http://downloads.powerscore.com/powersc ... preptests/.

PrepTest 31 appears in The Next 10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests (http://shopping.powerscore.com/product_ ... -PrepTests).

That game also appears in our PowerScore LSAT Logic Games Type Training II book: (http://www.powerscore.com/lsat/content_ ... lgttII.cfm).

We also use it in our Full-Length/Virtual LSAT Course books on page 11-20.

Thanks!
 adlindsey
|
Shouldn't the negation be on the sufficient (J) instead of S?
 Kristina Moen
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
adlindsey wrote:
Shouldn't the negation be on the sufficient (J) instead of S?
Lindsey,

Great catch! We fixed the typo. Everything else in the post remains true. This is a tough game, and if you are doing well on this game, then you should feel confident about your conditional reasoning skills! :)
 slettec
|
I'm confused. I am trying to get an explanation for Logic Game #4 in the current course materials for lesson 11, and it is taking me to an explanation about a question that wasn't even in the lesson? You guys really need to update your links... This is insane/unacceptable.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.