LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

Dave Killoran
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Setup and Rule Diagram Explanation

This is a Advanced Linear: Balanced, Identify the Possibilities game.

The game scenario and first rule establish the following basic setup:

PT41-Oct2003_LGE-G2_srd1.png

The first rule creates a simple F Not Law under the Instrument row on the first song (shown above). The remaining three rules in this game create powerful block formations. Let us first diagram each rule.

PT41-Oct2003_LGE-G2_srd2.png

Rule #2 and rule #3 above are conditional, and both involve the song paired with K. The last rule also involves K, and eliminates R and N from being paired with K. Thus, K can only be paired with Q or S, creating two clear templates for the game. Let us examine each template.

Template #1

In this template, the second and fourth rules are combined, creating the following block:
PT41-Oct2003_LGE-G2_srd3.png

From the second rule, K must be paired with S, and R must be paired with H. Thus, only F or G remain to be paired with N. The only remaining song, Q, must be paired with the remainder of G and F:
PT41-Oct2003_LGE-G2_srd4.png

Because the RSN block occupies so much space, it must be placed 1-2-3 or 2-3-4. Thus, the Q block can only be in 1 or 4, and if it is 1, from the first rule Q must be paired with G (leaving F for N).
From this Template, then, two distinct possibilities emerge:

PT41-Oct2003_LGE-G2_srd5.png

Template #2

In this template, the third and fourth rules are combined, creating the following block:
PT41-Oct2003_LGE-G2_srd6.png

From the third rule, K must be paired with Q, and N must be paired with F. Thus, only G or H remains to be paired with R. The only remaining song, S, must be paired with the remainder of G and H:
PT41-Oct2003_LGE-G2_srd7.png

Because the RQN block occupies so much space, it must be placed 1-2-3 or 2-3-4. Thus, the S block can only be in 1 or 4.
From this Template, two more possibilities emerge (numbered #3 and #4 for clarity):

PT41-Oct2003_LGE-G2_srd8.png

These four possibilities (which entail seven total solutions) provide you with the maximum amount of information available to attack the questions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 Francis O'Rourke
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi Tizwvu,

It turns out that there are only seven distinct possible outcomes to this game. That alone tells me that identifying the templates is extremely powerful.

The only issue with identifying the templates is that doing so is rather difficult at first. There is no single rule that obviously forces another rule into action. The set of R K N is a great start since that set of three variables takes up most of the game board. If you play around with that you'll realize that it can fit into only two different positions: 1, 2, 3 or 2, 3, 4. Since we then have only two places for the songs S and Q left to place down in either templates, you may see that there are further templates that we can create.

Looking at my diagrams after following through with this strategy, I think that it was worth it. However, there are always trade offs: you may find some great inferences, but it costs you time. I would say that on this game, it is worth it to find all four templates (and all seven outcomes) before approaching the questions.

How did you feel trying to complete the questions for this game?
 frk215
|
Hey folks,

I really wanted to do identify the possibilities on this one but I spent forever just making the initial diagram and just ran out of time on this section altogether- it was awful.

How long would you say that initial diagram should take me to make with a game like this (i.e. identify the possibilities)? What should the distribution in time be in terms of 8min + 45 sec for diagram vs questions? I'm sure every person is different and i know that the whole point of this approach is to front load and fly through the questions but just making those initial templates seems to take forever for me— even though i know how to make the dang thing and i feel comfortable with the rules/set up.

Any tips on how to speed up the initial template, also?
 Adam Tyson
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
It all depends on where you start, frk215. The first few rules really don't do much to drive a templates approach, but that last rule, creating that giant block that takes up three of the four spaces, should make you stand up and take notice immediately. It's imperative that you see almost instantly that the block can only fit in the base one of two ways, and from there start working out what else could happen.

Try running through it again, and draw out a scenario where R is first. Then ask yourself what else must happen, and draw that. Finally, ask yourself what other choices there are, and draw those out. You should very quickly see that K is second and N is third, and that only Q or S can be second with K, meaning there are two options. Draw both. Then, go through the same process with R being second, the only other place it can fit. Don't create every possible solution, but just the templates around those options.

Where you could lose time is in trying to start with some other rule, rather than the very powerful and restrictive final rule. For example, trying to build templates around where F goes would probably be too slow and inefficient, even though you would end up in the same place.

Start with the most powerful thing you have, and take it from there!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.