LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Logical Reasoning.
 katem2002
|
Hi, fellow forum members,

I'm having trouble keeping up the pace on LR. I get overwhelmed under timed conditions and rush myself to get questions done. I feel like I'm missing out on completely analyzing the pros and cons of my remaining contenders (if that makes sense). I think I'd miss significantly less questions if I was able to not worry about time/work better under timed conditions.

Did anyone else have this problem? How did you improve your performance under timed conditions? What tips do you have?

Thanks!
 EmilyOwens
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi katem,

What I tell my students is to make accuracy your priority, not time (sometimes I even make them put a sticky note over their clock so they can get used to not looking at the time). As you work through a timed logical reasoning section, it is important to focus on the tools used to tackle logical reasoning questions and apply them consistently. You should concern yourself with digesting the stimulus fully and accurately, diagramming conditional statements, prephrasing every answer, sorting answers into losers and contenders quickly, and using question techniques when necessary (like the Negation Technique for Assumptions). Once these are put into consistent practice, timing will follow because speed is the result of confidence, which is the result of accuracy. Only after having a consistent strategy that promises accuracy can you begin to focus on timing.

That being said, as you move forward, also make sure you are developing strategies to cope with the stress of timing. If this means looking to the side of your screen and inhaling and exhaling to refocus, take that beat! Taking the time to refocus for 2 seconds will serve you much better than trying to brute force your way through a difficult section that requires a clear mind. If a question is overwhelming, guess, flag, and move on. Don’t waste time letting a question get the better of you or allow it to cloud your thoughts. They are all worth the same amount at the end of the day. :)

If you do notice you are short on time, don’t be afraid to glance at the questions and find the shortest stimuli. These will likely take less time, so you can tackle more in the remaining time you have. Don’t be afraid to distill the questions and bend them to your strengths as you go, focusing on shorter stimuli and question types you find easier.

I hope this helps!
 katem2002
|
Thank you, Emily! Appreciate your advice :). I'll try this out!

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.