LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

General questions relating to LSAT Logical Reasoning.
 ahall
|
I am up to Lesson 5 and in the Assumption/Justify/Strengthen Review questions, I am getting about 80% of them wrong. I believe there are numerous factors impeding my progress. One of them is I am having trouble figuring out what the premise(s) is and how to correctly diagram it into a chain (usually my chain is backwards or I'm making a condition negative because there is the word "not" or "no" before a certain word). Perhaps I am even trying to diagram on certain questions that don't need it, but I believe this is the main reason why these are throwing me off. Because I am getting the diagram wrong, I cannot usually tell if my prephrase is correct or not. On the flip side, sometimes I cannot tell what the correct premise(s) is by the time I try to compare my diagram to the answer choices. By the time I get to the answer choices, nothing given seems to match anything that I have diagrammed out. I have even tried using the contrapositive technique to help, but this only makes most of the answer choices even more confusing to me.

Is there anything you can suggest I can do (or remember to do) to help determine when I should diagram, when to use contrapositive, and how to correctly diagram? I have already watched the archived recordings for the previous lessons, but it doesn't seem to be sticking with me, no matter how much energy I'm putting into it. I think figuring out which technique to use when will help in the end.
 BethRibet
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi ahall,

It sounds like you're having a frustrating time. Many of the questions in section 5 are not conditional reasoning questions, so you're right that diagramming the contrapositive wouldn't be helpful here. Since it seems like diagramming is tripping you up right now, I would focus instead on just studying and understanding the substance of the stimulus. Then take some of those you're missing, and discuss them with someone, either an LSAT study buddy, or you can try posing one or two of them here. It seems like you need to focus on making sense of the argument structure for now.

Hope this helps!
Beth

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.