LSAT and Law School Admissions Forum

Get expert LSAT preparation and law school admissions advice from PowerScore Test Preparation.

kim4956
|
Hi,

I chose answer choice (A) for this question, but (E) is the correct answer. I think I understand why (A) is wrong. The question reads:

It can be inferred from the passage that the author would be most likely to agree with which of the following views of the Native Soil movement?

(A) its dev't was the inevitable consequence of the Scar Art movement's increasing politicization.

(E) its nostalgic representation of rural life was the means by which it stood in opposition to Revolutionary Realism.

(A) is incorrect because the passage didn't specifically say that the NS mov't was the inevitable consequence, right?

Broadly speaking, what's the key to getting fewer questions wrong on the RC section? Just more practice? I realized that my incorrect answer choices usually stem from careless reading/lack of attention to details...

Thanks.
 Lucas Moreau
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hello, kim,

You are correct: the word "inevitable" is the key. :) The Native Soil movement was hardly necessarily going to follow the Scar Art movement's politicization, that just happens to be how it came about. Answer choice E is correct, and the best reference for that is the second to last sentence starting on Line 53. "Where the Scar artists...the Native Soil painters reacted instead".

Reading Comprehension can be especially difficult when it comes to single-word disqualifiers for wrong answer choices, like "inevitable" above, because of the sheer volume of words RC sections throw at you. More practice and better techniques for retaining more from the first reading of each passage are essential to getting you the time you need to notice things like that. :-D

Hope that helps,
Lucas Moreau
 kim4956
|
Thanks!
 starre
|
Could you explain to me why D is wrong? I understand why E is correct, but what is the reasoning for eliminating D? Thank you in advance!
 Jonathan Evans
PowerScore Staff
  • PowerScore Staff
|
Hi, Starre,

The question asks for you to prove something based on evidence in the passage about one of the author's views about the Native Soil movement. With respect to Answer Choice D, the passage provides no evidence that the Native Soil movement shared key elements with the Revolutionary Realism movement.

Instead, Answer Choice D recycles language from the beginning of the second paragraph, while the information about the Native Soil movement is contained at the end of the passage. It is true that the passage implies that the Native Soil movement arose, albeit indirectly, from the Revolutionary Realism movement (ln 19). However, the lack of key elements in common makes it unsupported. Also, be wary of the manner in which Answer Choice D uses language meant to make you think, "Oh, I think I read that in there!" Your job is to combine information in the passage to provide evidence for a statement contained in the answer choices. You must engage in this process of understanding the question task and doing close reading in the passage to discern precisely what is written.

As a general rule, in local questions such as these, the information necessary to answer the question will occur within about an inch above or below the topic referenced. If you find yourself straying elsewhere in the passage, you will likely be lured into an incorrect answer.
 starre
|
Ok, thank you very much! I see it now.

Get the most out of your LSAT Prep Plus subscription.

Analyze and track your performance with our Testing and Analytics Package.