Register for an Upcoming Free GRE Webinar
Reserve your spot now!

Second Issue Essay Attempt-Test on Sat 6/29

anthony7988anthony7988 Joined: 06/03/2018
"People who make decisions based on emotion and justify those decisions with logic afterwards are poor decision makers."

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

The temptation to act with expediency and base decisions on emotion does not necessarily make someone a poor decision maker but it does impede the opportunity for rational reasoning that could potentially enhance the quality of said decisions. The impact of emotion sometimes clouds the judgment of decisions if the person making the decision is not able to exercise the clear understanding of how their emotions are influencing their actions. Recognizing emotional influence is a hard thing to do, and made much harder without diligent practice, during the 'heat of the moment' which often leads people to make biased or poor decisions when acting on emotion. 

When basing decisions off of emotion often the decision can become clouded by a variety of emotions that can cloud ones judgement and prejudice the decision. When regular and extreme human emotions like anger, jealousy, pity, fear, entitlement are acted on when making an important choice often the result is not based on ration and logic. As an active member of Alcoholics Anonymous, I have had the first-hand experience in working to control the nature of my emotional influence on my active lifestyle choices. An oft-used way of controlling my emotional influence on my life is to constantly repeat to myself "Check your motives" when facing decisions that may affect the well-being of myself and that of others. By checking my motives I am able to take a pause and look into any underlying emotions like fear, anger or jealousy that may be influencing my rational thought process. Ultimately the goal of such practice is to take the time to pause and allow for logical decision making to have it's own chance at influencing the decisions I make.

Acting upon emotion at the onset and later attempting to justify one's actions does not make someone a poor decision maker but it does leave drastic room for improvement. An example being the classic spousal dispute and the negative circumstances that often result from the fighting and subsequent actions that take place because of it. The anger and entitlement that often accompany such arguments can result in poor decisions that do not necessarily resolve a situation and result in more damage done with more heartache for both parties. If the time was taken for both parties to step back and allow their emotions to run their course before engaging in any sort of concrete decision making often the chance for logical, rational thinking is allowed to gain traction. This is why the use of couples therapy and outside arbitrators are successful because it allows an impartial entity to interject rational alternatives.

One way that the emotion-based, logic-covered decision-making process may result in quality decisions is during instances where expediency is critical and the time that entertaining logical thinking would cost greatly. A common occurrence would be in life-and-death situations on the battlefield where soldiers and commanding officers have to make split-second decisions that are more likely to be influenced by emotion than logic. Even still, trained soldiers and commanders are instructed in ways to quickly estimate the costs of their decisions and are still acting on an underlying logical basis.

Ultimately, the reliance on emotion clouds decision-makers potential to make the best decision. This does not necessarily mean those that act on their emotions are bad decision makers but it does allow them room to improve their decision-making capability if they were to allow the time for logical, rational thought processes tto also influence their thinking.

• Jonathan EvansJonathan Evans PowerScore Staff Joined: 10/31/2016
    Hi, Anthony,

Again, good essay. Here are my suggestions:

• Introductory paragraph meanders. Define the issue. State your thesis. Preview your reasoning/examples. 
    • Also, be sure you're clear that the issue is basing decisions on emotions and then justifying afterwards with logic. The issue is not so much whether it's valid to make emotional decisions in the first place.
    • Your personal example with AA is fantastic. Great choice. 
    • Essay drags somewhat in the middle. Mix in one or two more concrete examples (real world stuff). Base your body paragraphs around one example each, as you did in your first body paragraph. This makes for a much stronger essay.
    • Make sure your thesis is crystal clear and ensure that the reader can follow your train of thought at all times; there should never be a moment when the reader goes, "what's he trying to get at right here?"
    Very good effort. Thank you for submitting it here.