Register for an Upcoming Free GRE Webinar
Reserve your spot now!

"amid" , "amidst" & "among"

ziyuenlauziyuenlau Joined: 03/22/2017
Could you help to explain the correct usage for "amid & "among"?

From Oxford Dictionary

amid (preposition) = in the middle of or during something, especially something that causes excitement or fear

The firm collapsed amid allegations of fraud.

Amid fears of an escalating trade war between the United States and China, President Trump tweeted Sunday morning that he and President Xi Jinping of China will “always be friends, no matter what happens with our dispute on trade.”

Amid the dip in stocks, money flowed to government bonds as investors sought safety, briefly driving yields on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note below 2.8 percent.

Amid a strong economy, large numbers of employees are opting to leave the government rather than serve it.

Gizzard Lizard hastily threw up another port-a-fort, amid a hail of enemy fire.

Amid the flurry of coverage, a radio host named Burnie Thompson invited Finch on his afternoon show, on Talk Radio 101.

The dollar has fallen in value amid rumors of weakness in the US economy. 

Demonstrators ripped up the national flag amid shouts of ‘Death to the tyrants!'

among  (also amongstpreposition  

in or through the middle of a group of people or things 

1. The girl quickly disappeared among the crowd. 
2. I could hear voices coming from somewhere among the bushes. 
3. We walked among the chestnut woods on the mountain slopes. 
4. She began rummaging among the books on her desk.
5. They strolled among the crowds.

• Jonathan EvansJonathan Evans PowerScore Staff Joined: 10/31/2016
    Hi, Ziyuen, 

Good questions!

"amid" usually refers to things or circumstances that are more abstract in nature. Notice all the examples above use "amid" to give a background idea of what's going on—"amid the excitement," "amid fears," "amid a strong economy"—before punctuating this scene with an event: "the firm collapsed," "lots of employees leave," etc. 

In other words, "amid" sets up the situation, then some event occurs in the middle of it. 

"Among" is more concrete. "Among my friends," "among the crowd," "among the books," etc. "Among" deals with a group of actual items. 

I hope this helps!